Wednesday, September 4, 2019

The Clockmaker's Daughter

Birchwood Manor is a twin-gabled house on the upper Thames river in England. This mysterious dwelling holds many secrets from the many lives that have spent time within its walls. When a young archivist from London, Elodie Winslow, discovers an old leather satchel containing a drawing of the home, she is curious about its history and how the portrait of the Victorian era women came to be in the satchel as well. Her job is to untangle secrets from the past and she can't help but feel connected to Birchwood Manor in some way.

'The Clockmaker's Daughter' by Kate Morton is an intriguing read as you can see the different stories in Birchwood Manor throughout time play out. Many of Kate Morton's novels are confusing as you begin them, but eventually they come together and you are left in awe of her writing genius. Having said that however, this particular novel of hers is probably the highest ranking on my list of confusing timelines and characters. I understood that all of the stories from the guests of Birchwood Manor are being told, but in my opinion Morton jumps around from era to era too often and there are just too many characters to keep track of. Keeping the timeline of the house straight proved to be a difficult task for me, but maybe that is simply because I wasn't able to read this novel as quickly as I would have liked too. The ending was good however and I think I may enjoy it more the second time around now that I have the general gist of its content down now. I would recommend this book if you have a good memory/ or can read it in a short period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment