Friday, September 13, 2019

High Achiever

Tiffany Jenkins is a comedian in her videos on Facebook and a mommy blogger. She is also a recovering drug addict who is open and honest about her experiences. In her book, 'High Achiever' she shows you exactly what detoxing in a jail cell looks like, how addiction can start with just one pill, one time, and how addiction can ruin your relationships with every single person you ever cared about. Tiffany bravely shares her story of how she hit rock bottom, and then climbed out of her personal hell by 
surviving one traumatizing event after another. She discusses rehab, healing, and hope. Although her story is dark, her humor is not. She literally turned her life around with comedy and honesty.

Confession, I am an extreme hater of the F-bomb. I might swear a little but that word is a big no-no around me. I don't allow it in my house, I don't watch shows that say it too much, basically, I am kind of a prude when it comes to that word. Is prude the right word? Probably not but you get my point. So having said that, you might be surprised to find that the dreaded F-bomb is found on pretty much every single page of this book, sometimes multiple times on each page. Usually when I hit the second or third F-word in a book I just close it and toss it, but I really wanted to read her book. So I persisted for two reasons, #1 -  I really, really like her and have a ton of respect for what she has done with her life and #2 - the language definitely fits into the story line and the setting. It's not a random bomb simply for the shock factor like some books and movies do, it is legitimately the language being used by the characters in the book. So once I got over the language, I really loved this book. It honestly opened my eyes to the black world of addiction and I feel like I have a much better understanding of it now. I also feel a lot less critical and judgey, and a lot more empathetic, to drug addicts. Pulling yourself out of an addiction like that makes you a hero in my book! It takes a real badass to be able to do that! Much love an respect to anyone who has to overcome. Every. Single. Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment