Tuesday, September 10, 2019

A Night Divided

Okay, so I must admit, I hardly knew anything about The Berlin Wall. I remember learning about the fall of it in school, but I honestly had no idea how affected the German people were by the wall. I kind of felt like an idiot reading this book. How did I not know more about this? I studied WWII extensively in school, I've read a ton of WWII historical fiction books, but somehow, in all of that, I never knew the devastating facts about how this wall tore a country apart. This novel was so eye opening for me. This is exactly why I love historical fiction so much. It gives me a chance to really FEEL history, to be a part of it, even for just a moment. This book was not only just educational, it was thrilling! I was on the edge of my seat reading it. I got so nervous for the characters. I cheered them on. I cried with them. I fell in love with them. This was a beautifully written story of endurance, healing, hope, and the powerful bond of family.

.   .   .   .   .   .   .

One morning Greta woke up to find that her world had completely changed overnight. While her father and brother went to the West side of Germany trying to find work, the Berlin Wall was erected, splitting up Gerta's family. Her mother and brother were imprisoned with her in East Berlin, ruled by the Soviets. Her father and brother were helpless on the other side of a wall that Greta got in trouble for by just looking at it for too long. Walking to school one day, Gerta spots her father pantomiming something to her from across the no mans land. After she receives a drawing from her father she puts the clues together and realizes that her father wants her and her brother to dig a tunnel under the wall to freedom. Getting caught would mean her instant death and cause horrible problems for her loved ones left behind, but if she doesn't try then her family might never be together again. She knows she must at least attempt it, but does she have enough courage to constantly lie to those who are close to her? This book will keep you up late into the night to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment