Sunday, July 15, 2012

Hello!

Welcome to my new blog! I have decided to start this blog because I wanted to have a place that is all about the book nerd in me. This blog will be my virtual Beauty and the Beast library- the library that I think the book nerd in all of us dreams of having one day. This blog will be filled with book recommendations, favorite quotes from authors, and everything book nerdy related. I already have so many post ideas that I don't even know where to begin! I guess the best place to begin is the beginning right? So here is my beginning..... 

It is my belief that my love affair for books began with my parents. I remember when I was little they would take me and my sister to the library and we would fill our arms full of as many books as we could carry. At night we would lay in bed while one of our parents would read to us. One of the best times was during Christmas. In the month of December my dad would bring out his collection of Christmas picture books and read them to us- it was always one of my favorite Christmas traditions. The love affair grew in Kindergarten when I unraveled the mysteries of letters and words for myself. Books opened up new worlds to me and I couldn't tear myself away from them. The first book I really remember falling in love with was The B.F.G. when my third grade teacher read it to our class. My favorite part of elementary was being able to go to the library and pick out books and hearing stories from our librarian, and sometimes if you were good you got to read in one of the bean bags. Then in Jr. High reading became a homework assignment and you had to read so many pages each term. I remember other kids complaining about having to read so much, but I was the kid that would have enough pages read for the entire year by the end of the first term. Then came the day where my parents had to ground me from reading because if I opened a book my other homework would get neglected. That's when my summers turned into major read-a-thons for me. When I was in high school things got pretty bad for me and I ended up going to a psychologist because of some suicidal thoughts that I had been having. After talking to me for a bit, my psychologist reached up on his shelf and took down a book and told me to read it. It was a church book called 'Fire of the Covenant', about the Mormon pioneers. This book saved my life in the most literal sense. I wish I could explain why exactly this book had such an impact on me, I have no idea. I think it's just because I knew that if the pioneers could go on, then so could I. Books can relate to you like no other family member or friend can. They can teach, comfort, inspire, and inform. So from Dr. Seuss to Harry Potter, books have been a constant companion and friend of mine. I love books. 

"A good book on your shelf is a friend that turns its back on you and remains a friend." 
-Author Unknown-

No comments:

Post a Comment