Friday, October 21, 2016

Go Set a Watchman

'How to Kill a Mockingbird', by Harper Lee, is one of my very, very favorite books, so when I heard that Lee's second book, 'Go Set a Watchman' was published, I was completely ecstatic and could not wait to get my hands on it! Well, I just finished it and I absolutely loved it! It definitely was not what I was expecting it to be, the ending completely threw me for a loop, but I devoured this book. Harper Lee is the Jane Austen of her time- she is able to handle social indecencies with humor and class. The book takes place when  Jean Louise (Scout) is 26 years old and returns home for the summer to visit Atticus. She is living in NYC, going to school, and every time she visits home more and more things change from how she remembered them as a child. She also begins to get an outsiders perspective on her little town, and comes to realize that it may not live up to her childlike fantasies. Scout is growing up, becoming an adult, and with that, she is gaining the ability to think and see things for herself.  My favorite parts of the book were the times when Lee flashed back to Scout and Jem's childhood, giving us even more of their shenanigans- it had me laughing out loud. I, of course, would highly recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment