Thursday, March 13, 2014

Escape


'Escape' by Carolyn Jessop is about a woman who escaped from her very strict polygamy community to gain freedom for her and her kids. She takes you through her life of abuse, beliefs, and struggles of living in the FLDS church. This book had me completely captivated from the first page. I had no idea what goes on in the FLDS church, which is pretty sad since it's practically right in my back yard. I have seen polygamists of course, but I never knew what their lives were like on a day to day basis. The abuse that women and children face is appalling. My heart broke for Carolyn and her kids more than once during the telling of her story. I learned so much about the things that they are forbidden to do.  Their lives are not their own and freedom is a foreign concept for them, which is sad seeing as this is not a story of the past, but of modern day in America. I would highly recommend this book. Yes it is a tragic, heart wrenching tale, but fortunately it has a very happy ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment