Tuesday, September 21, 2021

The Fires of Treason

 

Princess Elizabeth idealizes her big brother, Greg, who is destined to be the king someday. Elizabeth would do anything for him, but when she tries telling him something he doesn't want to hear, he treats her cruelly and unjustly. His words are unforgivable. After Greg is banished from the kingdom, Elizabeth overhears something that she is not supposed to however, and she must warn her older brother. Even if she can't forgive him, she still loves him and doesn't want to see him get hurt. Leaving the lap of luxury to traipse after Greg in the wilderness is a lot harder than she thought it would be, and the adventure she finds herself on is never one that she could have predicted. 

Meanwhile, Greg almost feels relief that the pressures of being king are now off of his shoulders. He has no intention whatsoever to raise an army and fight for his birthright, but is that what is best for his kingdom? Greg has many followers who are both angry and scared that Greg will not be their ruler any longer, and some of them are willing to go to extreme lengths to get him back on the throne. 

In Michele Quirke's debut novel, 'Fires of Treason', two sibling's worlds are turned upside down and they must leave behind everything they have ever known. Their loyalty to each other, as well as to their country, will be tested in ways they never could have imagined. Choosing the right path has never been so difficult. 

I came across this novel through the means of social media, and thought that the storyline was intriguing so I decided to give it a chance. To be honest, I didn't have the highest of expectations for this book, sometimes authors first novels fall flat, but I love fantasy, especially ones that are about royalty, so I gave it a try. Boy am I glad I did! This book exceeded all of my expectations! The plot line hooked me immediately, the character development was well written, and the descriptions were clear and precise. The storyline definitely left me wanting more and I can not wait for the next one. This novel was fantastic and I highly recommend giving it a chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment