Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Me Before You

I just finished reading 'Me Before You' by JoJo Moyes. It is the story of a mid-twenties girl named Louisa Clark who has yet to find her place in this world. She doesn't have the luxury of ambition or dreams simply because her family can't afford them. When she gets a job as a caretaker to a very wealthy quadriplegic man, she is nervous that she is not qualified for the job, but desperately needs the money. Will is cranky, spiteful, and seems to be really irritated by Louisa. Eventually Louisa is bound and determined to win Will over and help him see that there is still good in the world and that it's a life worth living.

I wasn't expecting this book to be what it was. I thought maybe it was going to be a cute little love story, somewhat like Pride and Prejudice with a modern day feel to it. I was completely wrong. Do you ever end up loving a book because you also hate it? It's like when Dumblerdore died and I threw the book against the wall, but I actually loved it because it made me feel such deep emotions. This book was like that. It got me to feel very deep emotions. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It was hard to read at the end, and not just because I could barely see through my big fat ugly tears. Sometimes it is kind of nice to get out of my Mormon, conservative, little Utah world and see the viewpoints of others. Although I 100% disagreed with the choices of the main characters, it is one of those books that opened my small little mind to other religions, politics, and people. I think we need more of that in this world. We may not agree. We may not even understand. But we can respect other people's decisions and treat them kindly despite our differences. Don't let me tell you how to feel about this book though. Read it and find out for yourself.

And yes, I still want to see the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment