Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Rent Collector

'The Rent Collector', by Cameron Wright is the story of Sang Ly and her husband Ki Lim, who live in the largest dump in Cambodia. They make a living by sorting through the trash in the dump and searching for recyclable material to sell. Not only do they have the constant worry about never having enough to eat, working in harsh environments, paying rent, avoiding the gangs of the dump who rob them of their findings, but there biggest worry of all is the worry they have for their son, Nisay. Nisay is sick and no matter how many doctors they visit or how many medicines they give him, he is not getting better. Day to day life is very stressful for them and they never know if all three of them will make it to the end of the day. When Sang Ly discovers a secret about their ornery rent collector however, she may just have a chance to make a better life for her and her family. 

This is a story of hope found in a place where there is little else to live off. It shows that one person willing to serve another can have a huge impact. It emulates the power of literacy. And it illustrates the daily lives of the people living in Cambodia. 

I loved this book. It touched my heart. It made me think. It taught me some valuable life lessons. It made me grateful for where I live and the blessings that I have. It was humbling. It was entertaining. It made me laugh. It made me cry. It basically contained all of the elements of great literature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment